Get Beyond SelfEstimated reading time: 4 minutes 0 seconds
(Just back from Engagement ceremony of our dear Daughter ADITI today , which also happens to be her Birthday . Chose this auspicious occasion to post this profound note which can bring in deep enlightenment and impact)
There is a Sanskrit Subhashit ,which says that You are your Best Friend , as also your Worst Enemy . In effect on one hand all the ingredients to reach pinnacle are within us & on the other hand ; enormous power to hold us back from what we can be , also resides within us .
It has been conjectured , hypothesized and documented in study literature that most of us die underleveraged to an extent of up to 95 % - living up to just about 5 % of what we are capable of ! There are obviously some strong ' Gravity ' factors , an inner inertia , which holds us back . If only we can recognize & break these ( internal ) barriers , it can take us from a 5 % level to a potentially 100 % level .
Our Values , Beliefs , Thoughts , Judgments , Opinions , Biases bind us to what we think we know than explore what we do not know - we don't know. This are the limiting walls , beyond which we can't grow . These not only limit our options , but typecasts us into a pattern - almost like ' locking in ' ;unable to move with flexibility to explore what we can .
Qualitatively , the framework of our Beliefs , Values etc becomes a reference point from which we assess / ascertain or judge ' others' position . This makes us a ' relative ' ( to ourselves ) thinker , robbing our access to absolute ( unbiased ) thinking
Though we are innocently unaware of this ; considering the gravity of the situation breaking these constraining shackles is not easy … it is not just ' opening up ; it is more like breaking the Sound Barrier . It is about liberating the ' soul ' from the ( constraining ) body - It is about " Getting beyond Self "
Since the biggest barrier for us in life is our self , once we succeed getting past this barrier ( self ) , by definition , there is nothing more to conquer & nothing can stop you - this is where you unleash your fullest potential - unhindered ; that is why it is a ' Liberation ' stage
"Getting beyond Self "- is about ' defying the gravity ' which pulls us down on - at each of the 3 components / levels . We will have to ' free ' our self on each level .
- getting fitter , health & energy ahead of your edge
- Choose & make your Work , your Cause , higher than yourself . You can be ordinary( Who You are ) ; but don't let your work ( What You do ) anything less than extraordinary !
- getting rid of your bondages : Fear , Insecurities , Guilt , Shame , Beliefs , Biases - anything which can hold you back
How do we reach , ' beyond self ' ?
- Develop Self awareness - Get to know yourself better - Get to know & feel the Elephant you are , so that you develop / see perspectives beyond that of only ' One Blind Man ' which is you currently
- Know what you are / are not ; what can liberate you / what can hold you back
- Build Powerful Perspectives - hold a larger perspective to life than just around yourself ; a perspective like " Win-within-Win ", which helps you to see yourself as a part of a Larger Whole . It tells you to contribute to larger good , with the conviction that your part of the larger good will be larger than good ( better )
- Getting beyond yourself is real Nirvana - a Spiritual Journey of real liberation from all Physical , Psychological bondages - You will feel light , you will ' flow ' ; being in fluidic state will be easy also for you to ' connect ' / ' reach ' with the world around . On one hand you can assimilate as much as you want ( with no barrier ) or on the other hand or you can choose to dissolve , surrender & be a part of the larger Being .
- Since in this state , you are ‘ outside you’ , you will be amorphous – not bound by a contour / ' geography ' - you can take the shape you want .
- As a corollary , you will no longer be in a ' relative ' ( to yourself ) frame of mind , when looking at others - there is no question of ' judging ' anyone since there is no ( Cartesian system of Coordinate Axes with you at the ( 0,0 ) origin ) framework to judge against . You will hence be in an ' absolute ' stage - which is the form of Truth , Purity - this is the stage perfectly amenable to assimilate or dissolve into the larger Purity ( In Hindu Philosophy , this is a process of Aatma uniting Paramaatma – being a part of the larger whole )
- Liberating self from clutches of self , is Real Nirvana !